R-time is a Personal and Social Education programme. The emphasis is upon creating effective, respectful relationships by way of Random Pair work.
The essence of R-time’s approach is short bursts of planned activities for 10-15 minutes, ideally once a week, for a period of 30 weeks each school year.
The programme is for all Early Years Foundation Stage and Primary-aged children of all abilities. It is a whole-school, every-pupil programme and each lesson is made of the following component parts:
- Step 1 - R-Time rule and instruction - Once the rule and instruction have been stated it gives the children a clear context within which R time is to be to be conducted. R time, being first and foremost a relationship programme, highlights the rule, “Show respect and good manners at all times”.
- Step 2 - Random pairing - The children work each time with a different partner enabling them, over time, to work with all of the children in the class.
- Step 3 - Introduction (Greeting) - Once the children are in pairs they greet one another, using given names, with a positive statement e.g. “Hello my name is Simon. I’m glad you’re my partner today Lia”.
- Step 4 - The activity - For each year group there are 30 short, easily achievable, age-appropriate activities. The children take part in these activities with their partner.
- Step 5 - Feedback - The children feedback their experiences to the whole group and the teacher helps them reflect on their learning.
- Step 6 - Conclusion - At the end of the session the children thank their partner and say something positive to finish.
You can find more information about R-time here.