The below list of questions can help anyone in the school community quickly contextualize whether or not a pupil in their care may be at risk of self-harm. Check them out here:
Please be aware that this is by no means an extensive list
- Is the child/adolescent being bullied?
- Do you know if they've suffered any other abuse?
- Do you know if they've experienced a bereavement?
- Are they in conflict with parents or other family members?
- Do they or their parents/carers have a chronic illness, disability or mental health problem?
- Are they subject to high expectations?
- Are they worried about school work?
- Do they have problems with race, culture or religion?
- Are they afraid or ashamed of their sexuality?
- Is there a possibility they are pregnant?
- Have they experienced the self-harm or suicide of someone else?
- Are they feeling isolated or low in self-esteem?